First touch of the iPhone in the UK
Today I got my hands on the iPhone for the first time in the UK. A colleague had brought one back from the US and then unlocked it, which meant the only useable functions were the iPod and the wireless internet.
The first thing I did was compared it to my black 30gb iPod video. The iPhone was slighly heavier. The feel of the devices were quite similar, well built, smooth and glossy. I touched my way into the photo library which had some poor photos in so I couldnt appreciate the screen there, but I did hold the iPhone in the landscape format and then I used my fingers to zoom in and out of the photo which is really fun.
The iPod functionality looked really nice, but as the iPhone only had 8gb of storage it meant there wasnt much to look at, although there was a full length movie on there and when that came up in fullscreen it was so sharp and big! I dont know how I can watch a movie on my video iPod anymore after seeing the playback quality of the iPhone!
The biggest floor in my opinion is the keyboard. It was soo difficult to use, it took me a few minutes to type 'Design Without Sleep'. I do understand though that that sort of thing would require practice and other smart phones look tricky too.
I also tried to log on to the internet but unfortunately there was no wireless internet at the time.
The camera on it is really poor to be honest. Apple should have left that out and used a small iSight camera (like the ones used in iMacs and MacBooks) on the front which could be used with iChat.
You have to remember though that this device is version 1. Do you remember version 1 of the iPod?! My verdict is I doubt i'll be buying one, at least not straight away. Why? Because I am a Pay & Go customer with hardly any strings attached. When this phone is released in the UK it will probably have an 18 month contract, £40 a month, plus £200+ for the device. What I will be buying 100% though is the next generation of the video iPod. It is due out mid to late September 2007 at the Paris Expo in time for the Christmas holidays. I cannot wait to touch my iPod in a whole new way.
Verdict:
* * * * *
iPod nano (13th Sept 2007)
I checked out the new iPod nano today, it's soo small and unbelievably thin!
Shaun
No comments:
Post a Comment